Monday, January 24, 2011

And I am flight...

Today was a Monday.

Monday's are the start of a new week, and a day that most people dread. Not so much for me. In addition to loving school (what?!?), Monday's are usually the day that Jason Landis, Jonathan Gray, and myself (a.k.a. The Quickening) get together and create/record music.

We're in the recording process now, and are working hard with what little time we have together during the week to lay down a demo. As of this writing, we have six original songs with a seventh on the way. It amazes me how God can take three individuals, each with different tastes and talents, and blend them into something unique. We each bring something different and fresh to the table each week, and as the weeks go on, I get more and more excited at the potential of this band.

Music has always been an intricate part of my life. I grew up with parents who exposed me to it in different forms at an early age, and was blessed that those parents shared a genuine interest in the music I listened to as my tastes varied as I grew. I only seriously started playing guitar at the age of 13, and have yet to put the instrument down. God gave me a gift in playing the guitar, and it's a gift that I've been aware of for awhile.

But it wasn't until recently that I grasped the reality that God gave me a voice as well. I've always been a closet singer. I love(d) to sing, but only ever in the company of myself (usually enclosed in a car). It was only 2 years ago that I started slowly emerging from my shell and displaying the full force of my vocals to Jason, Jonathan, and on occasion Elizabeth (Jason's wife). I was always expecting a disapproving reaction, but received acceptance instead. Fast forward to a few months ago when our band played our first show. The nerves were there, as I would be singing in front of 30+ people I had never met, but I was actually ready.

It wound up being one of the most freeing moments of my life.

I loved it, and now can't get enough of it. There's nothing quite like belting out the lyrics to songs you helped write into a microphone as you're laying down you're track of you're song. It's a dream that's slowly, but finally coming true.

2010's resolution was to perform publicly. I did it twice.

I'm pulling for a bigger venue, and a little more publicity this year.

I want to be heard. I want The Quickening to be more than just a interesting idea that only my family and close friends know about. I want God to take our band, turn it into a firework, and set it off with the spark of extreme ambition.

5 comments:

  1. I am so excited to see where this takes you Joel! I really can't wait to hear some of your music.

    I can totally relate to the whole singing thing as well.You and I have that in common. I recently found out that tow of the girls on my floor stand at my door while I am singing in my room because they enjoy it so much.

    You really do have a gift for playing guitar, and I love hearing you play. I am also very thankful that you were there to help me learn to play, because it is one of my favorite things to do! Love you, bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get the title.. should I get the title? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your band has had a chance to do so much, and I'm glad that you're singing. You are good at it! :)

    Just don't forget you've laid down an original track before...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed walking with you as you rediscovered your musical core. You are on to something quite signicant. Keep exploring and learning. Music will remain fruitful tree for you, and for all of us. Sing away.

    gpa j

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO looking forward to hearing The Quickening.

    As for your voice, I've heard it for a long time, even when you thought I didn't. I always thought it was quality stuff. And even though you may think I say that because I'm your mother, I say it because as a trained musician, I know what's good when I hear it. I'm a decent critic. So having said that, I say: sing and sing and sing, dear son ... you have a gift. ♥

    ReplyDelete